It has seriously been a year since I've sat down and made time to blog about my family life? Where in the world does one start? Holy cow! Well, to start things out we faired well with Hurricane Harvey and are now in yet another hurricane season in Houston. So far, knock on wood, it's been calm for us here. Not so much the Carolina's. We didn't have any damage to our property with Harvey but Kingwood residents lost everything in some areas. It was a total devastation. My hospital still was open and operating, flying patients in and out as we were an island for a few days. I worked team B which meant I went in to relieve the team A that road out the storm. Next storm, I am on team A. Speaking of work, we have been training finally for the mother/baby transition. It won't be official until October 15, which is the go-live date but we try to do couplet care as much as we can now. I've done a few shifts as charge with my nurses doing couplets and I've done a few couplet days of my own. It's a challenge when I don't have the flow of the night figured out yet. I have sent one baby to NICU who was grunting and felt good about that "catch". Hopefully the parents agreed that it was in the baby's best interest, too. I finally jumped on board and decided to take ACLS. I test out tomorrow for the first time and feel confident about it. I'm also retaking the RNC prep course for maternal newborn health in November at St. Luke's and hope to finally test out of that once and for all. It's a major test ($375) and I would add a letter to my credentials (RNC). That's been one of my yearly goals for a long time. I have put in my intent for the full time night charge nurse position. There are unfortunately 3 nurses that want one of the two positions. We interview next week. I'm fine either way because I believe God knows what's best for me and the right people will get the job but there will be hurt feelings no matter how it pans out I'm sure and that I'm not looking forward to. Erik has been busy with his full time job at KSBJ but has been picking up more clients through Sheldon IT Solutions thanks to Microsoft referrals. He has been losing weight on the keto diet, a diet that consists of cutting out carbs. He's been doing really well with that. Me? Not so much. I'm on the "cheat-o" diet. LOL!
So lets start with Avery...where or where to begin. He is no longer playing baseball and no longer at Concordia. That lasted a semester being in Austin and only a few weeks on the team before he figured out that baseball isn't going to be in his future beyond college. He decided to focus more on his studies and managed to get a 3.7 his first semester away. With many tears, we, as parents, supported his decision to hang up his cleats and pack away his glove. But that wasn't all. He decided he no longer wanted to be at Concordia if baseball was out. Allee, was going to transfer into Texas State and that is where his heart was too. With her. We managed to get him transferred to Texas State in the spring semester, 2018 where he changed his major to mathematics and education. He lived at the dorms the first semester there but spent most of his free time with Allee at her apartment. As the semester came to a close and it was time to decide on living arrangements for the fall 2018 semester, the two of them made plans to move in together at Allee's apartment. It took some convincing Erik that this wasn't the worst idea ever as Avery spent a lot of time there already and he'd have his own room and bathroom in the apartment. By summer it was finalized and Avery moved home from May to August. He lived in the game room on a blow up mattress, playing Fortnite (a video game all the boys play) until all hours of the morning and working at Dickies BBQ or tutoring in the afternoon and evenings. He went from dishwasher to sides guy, to actually serving up the plates. Surprisingly he liked it. Money is money, right? August 22, I followed him and Allee to San Marcos and moved them into their first place together. It was a sad realization on the way up there as I road alone that the past summer was probably the last time having Avery under my roof. I cried on the way up there as every mother would. He is 20 years old and growing up in front of my very eyes into a man. We have handed over the utility payment to him and he's taken it upon himself to get a job in San Marcos at a pizza place. He plans to work 20 hours a week and continue his studies and path towards education and mathematics.
Jaelyn...17 and finally a senior this year. She loves to be involved in Hosa and even FFA now. Her volleyball season had to be cut short because of a shoulder injury and the need for surgery. She will have surgery October 16th. She has been filling out applications for colleges and scholarships on her own. She is going between vet med and psychology as a major. Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, which is an hour from Humble or so, is her top school right at that moment. She is taking a full load of classes this year and not slacking off to keep her rank in the top 10%. In Texas, if you are in the top 10%, it's automatic admission to a state school regardless of your ACT and SAT scores. She wasn't happy with her scores even after taking both tests twice. In her free time she enjoys hanging out with her boyfriend, Joe. He's a super nice boy who treats her like a queen and I love that for her. They are so cute together. He got hurt in football at the beginning of the season and needed to have his MCL repaired so they didn't goto Homecoming. They did the whole mum exchange however and went to the football game, just not the dance. Hate that she missed out on that senior moment. Speaking of senior things. Dues were $540 which included four trips throughout the year. I want her to experience all the fun stuff of senior year so I couldn't say no. She was a lifeguard this summer at our pool for the 2nd year in a row and she babysits for a coworker of Erik's. She will look for a job once volleyball season is over and she recovers from surgery to off set her spending habits. The girl likes to spend money!
Braden is 14 and a freshman this year at Humble High School. He rides the bus and is involved in basketball. He plays for ABA at The Gym in their league but would really like to find an AAU team or travel team. He was diagnosed with "pigeon chest" where his chest is growing outward and he has to wear a brace. He's horrible about wearing it too! It's bulky and made of metal and uncomfortable for him to wear. Plus maybe a little embarrassing. He isn't a fan of his basketball coach either at school. But if he makes the team he will have to get over that hurdle and deal with it. He's working hard on getting in shape and in fact has slimmed down and grown 6 inches in a year. He is pushing 6'3", 154 lbs.
Evan is a 6th grader and in middle school at Humble, where all the kids went for middle school. He is adjusting well and is enjoying his art class.We had him attend a session at Code Ninja, a computer coding class for kids where they make their own video game. He loved it! We want to see how that plays into our budget and schedule before we dive in an make it happen on a weekly basis for him. He is growing his hair out and really is my old soul type of kid. He misses Avery a lot when he's not here. He still is into his gaming and being the "indoor man".
As far as my health goes, in November I had intense radiation to the spot on my T8 and so far it's stable and hasn't grown. They might even say I am N.E.D. (no evidence of disease) but they won't call it remission. Restaging occurs every 3 months by Pet scans and every 3 months by MRI. So every 6 weeks its a rollercoaster of emotions on our end. Is the cancer back or am I ok for another 3 months? It's exhausting really. But I do what they want me to do. That's all I can do. Lots of trips downtown to the medical center gets expensive but I know I'm in the right place. I did start going to support group for metastatic cancer this week in The Woodlands. That is an experience that keeps me up at night and I will write more to that on my other blog. Overall, my doc says I'm doing great!
Erik had gall bladder surgery earlier in the year after an attack sent him to the ER with what we thought was a heart attack. Scary to see your husband in that shape. But we found a great surgeon and he's all fixed now. Good as new!
Libby and Bella are still with us. They are getting older, slower, and fatter but we love them just the same.
That's it for now. I can't think of what I've missed in this last year of our lives. I've pretty much summed it all up and caught everyone up.
Thursday, September 20, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment